Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Monster Truck Power Fantasy


Here's a new game for ya kiddos: "Monster Truck Power Fantasy." I made it for the 2017 Sekret Santa game jam at Glorious Trainwrecks. My gift recipient asked for a game with a giant monster truck that destroys an entire city, among other things.

So, I made a game about a monster truck. I could describe it further by genre, but why should I? It's a video game about a goddamn monster truck.

I've always been enamored with the idea of music games in the style of James Earl Cox's You Don't Know the Half of It: Fins of the Father. So, I decided to write a song for the game with conventional structure and lyrics, as opposed to an instrumental loop. Imagine Jon Spencer, Sleater-Kinney, Shakey Graves, and the frontman from Arcade Fire getting together and making a baby. A song baby. This is that song.



I was given a month to work on the game, but due to the work on "The Giant Robot Blues," hospitalization, and holiday cheer, I've only had a week to make the game. Three of those days were dedicated to the music. This didn't leave much time for game design.

I'm pretty happy with the results, given the short development period, but a post-jam version with bug fixes is in the works.

You can download the game for Windows from Glorious Trainwrecks for the time being. Release on other platforms is impending. Thanks for playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment