Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Waker's trailer, initial IndiE3 thoughts



I was in a crunch to get something done for IndiE3, and didn't have time to do clear plot exposition or game play explanation. Also, I'm not a video guy. That being said, I think the trailer represents the game well!

Speaking of IndiE3, there's been some awful developments this afternoon. Long story short, during a live streamer's event, folks commenting through the chat box called the streamer's gender into question, and there was not sufficient moderation to prevent it.

I have mixed feelings about this. One one hand, the lack of preparation for the event has irked me in numerous other ways from the beginning (lack of communication*, inconsistent schedule, and broken promises). And what can you expect from an event that was merely conceived of just a week ago?

On the other hand, the organizers of IndiE3 have admitted complete responsibility, do not condone the actions of the community, and are taking steps to prevent this from happening again. Which is more than I can say about the gender bullshit that occurs at other game conventions.

I've been losing pep about the event since day one, but I understand that the guys behind IndiE3 are doing their best. I honestly don't know how I feel about the event right now, but I hope it recovers. There's good people behind it, and the event has so much potential.

I'll write about it when it's over.

*Waker is on a list of games submitted to IndiE3 I found on Indiehaven. Besides that, nobody has actually told me if, when, or how the game will be shown. I had no idea that the mode of presentation was the live streaming of trailers until they actually started streaming - they didn't even communicate that in advance. This has caused me some unneeded anxiety this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment