Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Quake Level - Borderworld Hole



I made a short Quake level that I'm calling "Borderworld Hole." I designed it to teach myself the Trenchbroom level editor, and so it very much features a "stream of conscious" sort of design that's a mashup of whatever themes and concepts I wanted to explore in a given moment.



You spend the first half of the level exploring twisted hallways that periodically reconvene at the same rocky pit, but the second half ends in a hectic battle in a massive outdoor arena of sorts, so that's pretty cool.


You can download the level here. Place the ah01.bsp and ah01.lit file in your game's id1/maps directory, and after selecting a difficulty level, type "map ah01" in the game's console to play it.

The map DOES NOT render properly in Quake's original engine. You have to play it using a modern source port - I most recommend Quakespasm.

I had a blast learning how to use Trenchbroom and am affectionate towards the classic Id shooters,  but Quake is too bloody and dark for me to immerse myself in it for very long. I'm going to turn my attention to something a bit lighter next!


No comments:

Post a Comment